Report: Judi Dench Eyed to Play Mon Mothma in 'Star Wars Episode 7'
Another "Star Wars Episode 7" casting rumor emerges, as J.J. Abrams continues to hold off cast announcement. The latest report suggests Judi Dench is circling the role of Mon Mothma, the co-founder and leader of the Rebel Alliance, in the much-awaited film.
Mothma first appeared in 1983's "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi", portrayed by Caroline Blakiston. The character returned for 2005's "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith", played by Genevieve O'Reilly. On animated TV series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", she's voiced by Kath Soucie.
"Episode 7", written by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, is slated to hit theatres on December 18, 2015. Two sequels are set to follow for 2017 and 2019 releases respectively. The script is done, and the director confirmed he did meet with "Breaking Bad" actor Jesse Plemons.
The storyline is still kept under tight wraps, but the upcoming installment is rumored to continue focusing on Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). Words are, the offspring of the classic "Star Wars" trio will be side characters before taking center stage in the next film.
Dench, known for her role as James Bond's tough boss M, was last seen on the big screen in "Philomena". Her portrayal as a real-life mother who searches for her long-lost son earns her Best Actress nomination at the Oscars. Now she is filming "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2" in India.
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri
- 'Shameless' Season 8 Renewal Is Put on Hold as Emmy Rossum Asks for Pay Parity
- Ryan Reynolds Finally Reveals Why He Looked So Uninterested in That Taylor Swift Photo