Harvey Weinstein Says He's Done Making Violent Movies
Harvey Weinstein is taking the heat after revealing his plan to take aim at NRA in movie "The Senator's Wife" with Meryl Streep. The producer is specially criticized for his hypocrisy of making violent films while he cries foul over gun violence.
During an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan, Harvey says, "They have a point. You have to look in the mirror, too. I have to choose movies that aren't violent or as violent as they used to be. I know for me personally, you know, I can't continue to do that."
He continues, "The change starts here. It has already. For me, I can't do it. I can't make one movie and say this is want I want for my kids and then just go out and be a hypocrite."
"Lone Survivor" is the type of war films he will continue to make. "It's a tribute to the United States special forces...that's one thing," he reasons. "I'm not going to make some crazy action movie just to blow up people and exploit people just for the sake of making it."
As far as Streep, the producer says, "People have to remember that Meryl Streep is an actress. She's working as someone whose playing a part and all the heat should come my way."
Earlier, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz cited Quentin Tarantino's 2003 film "Kill Bill", which the Weinstein Co. produced, in his criticism over Harvey's plan to make the anti-NRA movie. Calling the sword fight at the end of the film as "one of the most epically violent scenes," the politician argued, "But you don't see people wanting to ban knives."
Cruz additionally pointed out, "He [Harvey] says he doesn't own a gun, but I bet you there's a good odd that he has armed security around him."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie