'Man of Steel 2' Moved Back a Year From Summer 2015 to 2016
"Man of Steel 2" will hit theaters later than initially scheduled, Warner Bros. announces. Directed by Zack Snyder, the Superman vs. Batman film was originally set to be released on July 17, 2015, but now it is moved back to May 6, 2016.
The delay is to allow the filmmakers "time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story." The studio explains that "the decision was made following the shift of the start of production to second quarter of this year."
The announcement comes on heels of rumor that Ben Affleck who will play the caped crusader in the film has suffered a leg injury, prompting the production to get pushed back by six weeks. It's unclear if there's truth to the report.
The July 17 date is now occupied by Joe Wright's "Peter Pan (2015)" which was initially planned to come out on June 26. Other July releases are "Terminator: Genesis" (July 1), "Minions" (July 10), and "Ant-Man" (July 31).
Meanwhile, the "Man of Steel" sequel now joins an untitled Marvel project I which is due May 6, 2016, and "Alice in Wonderland 2" as well as "X-Men: Apocalypse" which are set to face off each other on May 27.
Henry Cavill will return as Superman, Amy Adams will reprise her role as Lois Lane, and Gal Gadot is brought in as Wonder Woman. Some other Justice League members like Nightwing and Green Lantern are rumored to make appearance, but no official word has been made to confirm them.
More Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance