'Orange Is the New Black' Star Michelle Hurst Is Out of Coma After Car Accident
Actress Michelle Hurst who plays Miss Claudette on "Orange Is the New Black" finally is out of coma after 16 days. The actress was involved in "a bad car accident just before the holidays" and is treated at UNC Chapel Hill Hospital in North California.
According to a fundraising page which is created to help her sister pay the actress' medical bills, the doctors "put her in a medically induced coma to avoid movement while they did multiple surgeries near her spine." Hurst was awake on Thursday morning, January 16.
"[Hurst] has opened her eyes!" the page's administrator wrote. "Michelle is [in the ICU]. We can't send flowers or visit, only family. She is progressing slowly, but progressing!" The administrator also said that Hurst was responsive. The fundraising goal was set at $5,000 but so far it has collected more than $11,000.
Piper Kerman, who wrote a memoir which inspired "Orange Is the New Black" story, tweeted the link to the page and asked for help. The series' cast member Natasha Lyonne additionally wrote, "Please give what you can to help Michelle Hurst - the amazing actress who plays Ms Claudette on 'OITNB'."
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction