'Dexter' Spin-Off Will Only Happen if Michael C. Hall Returns
Dexter Morgan could return for a "Dexter" spin-off. Talks about the potential spin-off had begun since the show neared its end last year, but only now that Michael C. Hall's title character is mentioned to be involved in it.
"We continue to talk about it," Showtime entertainment president David Nevins said at the TCA winter press tour. "If we were to do it, we have to have a very good reason to do it. It has to feel like it's a new show. I'm not interested in doing it if it's just a continuation. If we were to do it, I would only do it with Michael."
Saying that the project's still in "very preliminary stage," he added, "That show is that character...and if I were to do something, I would do Dexter in a new concept and configuration. I want the show to feel different, not just a continuation of the old show."
Defending the series ending in which Dexter faked his own death and left Hannah (Yvonne Strahovski) and his son Harrison to start a new life in Oregon in order to protect his loved ones, Nevins said, "The fundamental design of where they ended Dexter was really well conceived. He had to sacrifice the one person who was closest to him in the world, and he had to leave. That was where it was headed for a very long time."
He also insisted that there were never plans to kill off Dexter. "We never discussed the idea of killing [Dexter]," he said, stressing that the character was not kept alive for a potential spin-off. "The people who are really in the center - Michael, Scott Buck, [ep] Sara Colleton - no one even brought up the idea. It was never discussed.... It remains to be seen whether they're going to want to do [a spin-off] or whether I'm going to want to do it. They never felt like killing Dexter was the right end."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance