'Duck Dynasty' Returns to Solid Ratings After Anti-Gay Comment Controversy
Most of "Duck Dynasty" fans apparently stick with the show despite recent controversy about Phil Robertson's homophobic comments. It's shown in the number of viewers tuning in to the reality series when the fifth season debuted on Wednesday, January 15.
The new season premiere posted 8.5 million viewers overall, slightly down from the season 3 premiere last February which lured in 8.6 million viewers. Compared to the fourth season opener which posted 11.8 million people on average, it's a big drop but the fourth season aired in the summer when there's little competition from other networks.
The current season, meanwhile, opened against "American Idol" season 13 premiere which, despite promising fresh twists, posted its lowest premiere rating ever. The singing competition series delivered 15 million viewers and a 4.6 rating in adults 18-49 demo, down 23 percent from last year.
A&E briefly suspended Phil Robertson from "Duck Dynasty" late last year following his anti-gay comments on GQ magazine. Now new report says several networks, including ABC and CBS, are upset that the cable channel lifted the suspension of the Robertson patriarch.
"Several high-ranking executives have expressed upset over the way this all played out. The network execs think that in allowing Phil to come back so quickly and seamlessly, without apology, sets a bad standard," a source tells FOX411. "The standard being that talent can say whatever offensive thing they want about gay people or other groups and get away with it. No consequences."
- J.K. Rowling Hints at Big Spoiler for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2'
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Kylie Jenner Licks Khloe Kardashian's Chest in Saucy Pic for 'KUWTK' 10th Anniversary
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance