Jon and Kate Gosselin Give Different Explanations of Twins' Awkward Interview
Kate Gosselin defended her twin daughters' awkward interview on the Thursday, January 16 "Today" show while her ex-husband Jon Gosselin blamed her for putting the girls out to deal with the public. Kate called it "stage fright" while Jon thought it was "deer in the headlights."
Mady and Cara got tongue tied when host Savannah Guthrie asked them how life was after their TLC reality show "Jon & Kate Plus 8" ended in 2011. The 13-year-olds refused to speak and kept looking at Kate. "Mady, your words," Kate told her daughter. "It's your chance. Spit it out." But they clammed up.
Kate explained the situation via Twitter, "Thanks to @TODAYshow for having Cara, Mady and me on the show today!1st live interview can render even the gabbiest girls speechless." The mother of eight added, "I'm proud of them, taking this opp! They were so excited but caught off guard by live tv!"
She also responded to a commenter who said she was controlling the damage, tweeting, "No damage done. They wanted to do interview with me, I said 'go for it' #morelifeopportunites #proudmomnomatterwhat." And when another commenter said the girls were scared of saying the wrong thing, Kate replied, "There were no right or wrong answers. They just had a case of 'stage fright' #notactors."
Dad Jon, who has split from Kate, called TMZ to address the situation. "I felt upset," he said. "I was laying there with Liz [Jannetta] and we were like, 'Say something girls. Come on! Just say something. Anything.' And they didn't say anything and we were like, 'Ugh, this is horrible'. Then I felt really bad. I mean, I didn't care too much for Kate or whatever, but I felt really bad for Mady and Cara because I love them and they're just put in this situation. It was like deer in the headlights."
He continued, "It just kind of proves my point of Kate bringing the kids out instead of her just sort of doing it herself. It all blew up in everyone's face and I feel horrible for my children because now they're going to have to deal with the public."
But Jon tried to remain on the positive side. "I just texted Mady and Cara today and said, 'You guys looked great and I love you and have a good day in New York,' " he said. "I didn't really talk about it. I'm just here to offer them support and be their father."
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones