'American Idol' Premiere: Harry Connick Jr. Lifts a Guy, Jennifer Lopez Makes a Man Cry
"American Idol" officially kicked off its season 13 with a new jugding panel on Wednesday, January 15. The episode captured some of the good and bad auditions in Boston, Massachusetts and Austin, Texas, as well as introduced The Chamber where the contestants went to before their first audition.
First to audition in the episode was Troy Durden, who bragged about how good his singing was. He twerked and sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", proving that he indeed can sing. He earned a golden ticket.
Jillian Jensen loved Harry Connick Jr.'s "Will and Grace" and he asked to hug the judge, which he granted. She, along with Ethan Thompson, who looked like a cleaned-up version of Phillip Phillips, and quirky Lindsey Pedicone, made it to the next round.
Morgan Deplitch's breathless rendition of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals' "Paris (Ooh La La)" made Harry "uncomfortable" as he thought it's age-inappropriate. The 15-year-old eventually walked away with a golden ticket.
Austin Percario whom Keith Urban described as Justin Bieber at 5 A.M., Kaitlyn Jackson who sang an original song about her late grandfather, and Shannon Wilson, a huge guy with sweet voice, were among others who earned the golden tickets in Boston.
Moving on to Austin, Savion Wright showed true talent and shared a sob story about him being diagnosed with ADHD and how music became his medicine. He won the judges' hearts.
Country girl Shelby Comey and new dad Jordan Grizzard were some of the other highlights from the auditions in Austin. Outside the audition room, Ryan Seacrest picked up Shelby's father and the host almost dropped the elder man. Jennifer Lopez, meanwhile, made a bizzare comment that she wanted to eat the legs of Jordan's adorable baby.
"Idol" showed a montage of people who didn't really know how Harry was, and then came Munfarid Zandi who knew Harry. The singer/actor promised to hold him like a baby if he's good. So after Munfarid delivered a cover of Adele's "Crazy for You" well, Harry fulfilled his promise and craddled the 19-year-old like a baby.
On the other hand, Roland Guerrero, who was amazed by J.Lo's beauty and cried just by looking at her, was not advancing.
At the end of the episode, 24 singers from Boston and 21 from Austin got tickets to Hollywood.
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri