Michael Jackson Insurance Lawsuit Settled
Michael Jackson's estate and Lloyd's of London have settled a lawsuit over a $17.5 million insurance policy. The two parties announced the settlement on Wednesday, January 15 in Los Angeles. The insurer previously claimed that they shouldn't have to pay the policy because they said Jackson or his camp did not reveal the singer's drug use. Jackson's estate then countersued for breach of contract.
"The estate and Lloyd's of London are glad this matter got resolved," Jackson estate's attorney Howard Weitzman said in a statement, as quoted by Los Angeles Times. Details of the settlement were not revealed.
The "Thriller" singer passed away in 2009. His doctor Conrad Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011 after he administered a lethal dose of propofol to help the singer sleep. Murray was released from prison in late 2013 after serving 2-year term.
On January 15, the California 2nd District Court of Appeal upheld Murray's conviction of involuntary manslaughter. Despite his appeal, the court ruled that there were enough evidence that he contributed to the singer's death. As reported by MTV News, the court upheld that the doctor gave "a number of dangerous drugs to Mr. Jackson without the appropriate medical equipment, precautions or personnel in place, and to the manner in which he left Mr. Jackson unattended."
"The evidence demonstrated that Mr. Jackson was a vulnerable victim and that [Murray] was in a position of trust, and that appellant violated the trust relationship by breaching standards of professional conduct in numerous respects," the 68-page ruling also stated.
More Michael Jackson News
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'
- Gigi Hadid Blames Meds for Skinnier Figure, Announces Social Media Break Over the Holidays
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt While Celebrating Birthday With Meek Mill
- 'La La Land' and 'Arrival' Among AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2016
- Donald Trump Is Still Involved in 'The Apprentice' After All
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson