'How I Met Your Mother' Creators 'Deeply Sorry' Following Racism Claims
"How I Met Your Mother" was hit with racism claims for putting the characters in yellowface. After the episode titled "Slapsgiving 3: Slappointment in Slapmarra" aired on Monday, January 13, fans took to Twitter to express their disappointment that the show featured Cobie Smulders, Josh Radnor and Alyson Hannigan dressing up to look like Asians.
Responding to the criticisms, co-creator Carter Bays tweeted a series of messages to apologize for the controversial scenes. "Hey guys, sorry this took so long. @himymcraig [ [co-creator Craig Thomas] and I want to say a few words about #HowIMetYourRacism," he began his apology.
"With Monday's episode, we set out to make a silly and unabashedly immature homage to Kung Fu movies, a genre we've always loved," he explained, adding, "But along the way we offended people. We're deeply sorry, and we're grateful to everyone who spoke up to make us aware of it."
He continued, "We try to make a show that's universal, that anyone can watch and enjoy. We fell short of that this week, and feel terrible about it. To everyone we offended, I hope we can regain your friendship, and end this series on a note of goodwill. Thanks."
"HIMYM" is currently in its ninth and final season. The series finale is set for March 31.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked