Russell Brand Uses Anti-Gay Slur During Speech at Cambridge University
Russell Brand has been said using homophobic slur during his speech at a Union address at Cambridge University. The comedian appeared as a guest speaker at the university on Monday, January 13. Brand talked about various topics such as "inner truth," Topshop, Julian Assange, his tattoos as well as Harry Styles, whom he said "quite a character."
At one point, Independent reports that students from one college could not stop cheering after the comedian chose their crest as his favorite. Brand was trying to make the audience members be quiet by jokingly telling them, "Shut up you Harry Potter p**fs!"
While some students apparently were not offended with the joke, others felt that he shouldn't have used the word. "It was a bit of a shock to hear that the word p**f is considered an appropriate term to level as an insult, especially by someone like Brand, who models himself as the very model of a modern liberal...He should apologize unreservedly and immediately," a representative for the Cambridge University Student Union LGBT Charlie Bell told Varsity.
Despite the issue, Deputy Press Officer for the union Amber Cowburn only said good things about Brand. "It was a really exciting talk by such a dynamic and energetic showman... It was a fantastic opportunity for the Cambridge Union Society to attract such a current high profile guest, who brings together the worlds of entertainment and politics," she stated. "The huge turnout to see him, filling the Union to absolute capacity, and the widespread demand for live streaming is testament to that."
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs