Russell Brand Uses Anti-Gay Slur During Speech at Cambridge University
Russell Brand has been said using homophobic slur during his speech at a Union address at Cambridge University. The comedian appeared as a guest speaker at the university on Monday, January 13. Brand talked about various topics such as "inner truth," Topshop, Julian Assange, his tattoos as well as Harry Styles, whom he said "quite a character."
At one point, Independent reports that students from one college could not stop cheering after the comedian chose their crest as his favorite. Brand was trying to make the audience members be quiet by jokingly telling them, "Shut up you Harry Potter p**fs!"
While some students apparently were not offended with the joke, others felt that he shouldn't have used the word. "It was a bit of a shock to hear that the word p**f is considered an appropriate term to level as an insult, especially by someone like Brand, who models himself as the very model of a modern liberal...He should apologize unreservedly and immediately," a representative for the Cambridge University Student Union LGBT Charlie Bell told Varsity.
Despite the issue, Deputy Press Officer for the union Amber Cowburn only said good things about Brand. "It was a really exciting talk by such a dynamic and energetic showman... It was a fantastic opportunity for the Cambridge Union Society to attract such a current high profile guest, who brings together the worlds of entertainment and politics," she stated. "The huge turnout to see him, filling the Union to absolute capacity, and the widespread demand for live streaming is testament to that."
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed