Producer Says 'Ender's Game' Sequel Could Be an Original Story
While there's still no official word regarding "Ender's Game" sequel, producer Roberto Orci gives an idea of what the follow-up could be dealing with if the second film is getting the green light. He said it could explore an original story that's not based on Orson Scott Card's book.
In Card's series, the story after "Ender's Game" is "Speaker of the Dead" which takes place years after the first installment. "They have rights to certain... books," Orci revealed. "I'm not sure which ones, and it's two companies so I'm not sure who controls [Speaker for the Dead]."
"It could be potentially original because in 'Speaker for the Dead' you pick him up when he's already a man," the producer furthermore teased in the interview with CraveOnline. "There might be an in between step if that happens."
"That's why I think the rights that they worked out is it could either be one of the books or it could be original or a mix so that you can do what you need to do for a movie," Orci added.
Director Gavin Hood, meanwhile, once said, " 'Speaker for the Dead' takes place 30 years after, so we're in an interesting place. ... And Orson is apparently writing something that's more of a direct follow called ['Fleet School']. Obviously, from the studio's point of view, they'd almost certainly want to move the characters from this film into the next journey. So it may be that 'Speaker for the Dead' is not the sequel now..."
The first film was released late last year. It starred Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley and Hailee Steinfeld. It raked in $88 million worldwide out of an estimated $110 million budget, leaving the sequel undecided. But there's an option to bring the story to the small screen for a spin-off series.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March