Producer Says 'Ender's Game' Sequel Could Be an Original Story
While there's still no official word regarding "Ender's Game" sequel, producer Roberto Orci gives an idea of what the follow-up could be dealing with if the second film is getting the green light. He said it could explore an original story that's not based on Orson Scott Card's book.
In Card's series, the story after "Ender's Game" is "Speaker of the Dead" which takes place years after the first installment. "They have rights to certain... books," Orci revealed. "I'm not sure which ones, and it's two companies so I'm not sure who controls [Speaker for the Dead]."
"It could be potentially original because in 'Speaker for the Dead' you pick him up when he's already a man," the producer furthermore teased in the interview with CraveOnline. "There might be an in between step if that happens."
"That's why I think the rights that they worked out is it could either be one of the books or it could be original or a mix so that you can do what you need to do for a movie," Orci added.
Director Gavin Hood, meanwhile, once said, " 'Speaker for the Dead' takes place 30 years after, so we're in an interesting place. ... And Orson is apparently writing something that's more of a direct follow called ['Fleet School']. Obviously, from the studio's point of view, they'd almost certainly want to move the characters from this film into the next journey. So it may be that 'Speaker for the Dead' is not the sequel now..."
The first film was released late last year. It starred Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley and Hailee Steinfeld. It raked in $88 million worldwide out of an estimated $110 million budget, leaving the sequel undecided. But there's an option to bring the story to the small screen for a spin-off series.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics