Tamera Mowry Says She Got Racist Comments About Her Interracial Marriage
Tamera Mowry, who appeared on the '90s television sitcom "Sister, Sister", emotionally talked about racism she experienced after getting married to her husband Adam Housley who happened to be a white man. During an appearance in an episode of "Oprah: Where Are They Now?", Mowry recalled the painful experience, saying that she had never felt so much hate before.
"I get called white man's w**re. The new one was 'Back in the day, you cost $300 dollars. Now you're giving it to him for free,' " Tamera said while in tears. "See, this is where I get emotional, because it's hurtful. Because when my husband and I are so openly - and we're fine with showing - is love. Love. But people choose to look past love and spew hate. That's what hurts me, because I've never experienced so much hate ever in my life, ever."
The former teen star, who grew up in a biracial family, explained that she never thought about people's race. "My mom is a beautiful black woman and my dad is an amazing white man, and I grew up seeing a family. I didn't grow up saying, 'Oh, that's a white man.' "
She continued saying that people who abused her in the internet also mentioned her twin sister Tia Mowry who is married to "Warm Bodies" actor Cory Hardrict. "They say, 'Oh, Tia's a true black woman because she married a black man.' Oh - I'm less of a black person because I married white?"
Despite the hateful comments she received, Tamera said she was happy with her husband whom she married in 2011. "I love my husband so much, I love our family, I love our dynamic. I'm proud to be in the relationship that I am because it's based on love. Pure love," she concluded.
"Oprah: Where Are They Now?" airs on Friday at 8 P.M. ET on OWN.
- Too Little, Too Late? Taylor Swift's Support for Women's March Is Met With Backlash
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video