'Octomom' Nadya Suleman Charged With Welfare Fraud
Nadya Suleman, a woman who drew attention after she gave birth to eight babies in 2009 and earned the nickname "Octomom" as the result, has been charged with welfare fraud. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said on Monday, January 13 that Suleman failed to report $30,000 in earnings while receiving public assistance money.
"While applying for public aid, the mother of 14 children allegedly failed to disclose that she was also getting checks for personal appearances and residuals from videos," the authorities said in a statement, as quoted by The Associated Press. She was charged with one count of aid by misrepresentation and two counts of perjury by false application for aid.
Suleman was not immediately taken into custody, but she was required to appear in court on Friday. She may spend up to five years and eight months in jail if convicted.
Suleman has been struggling to take care of her fourteen children. She appeared in an adult video, posed topless for a magazine and worked at a strip club to make ends meet. She filed for personal bankruptcy in 2012. In a phone interview with TMZ Live last year, she said, "I'm not ashamed of doing it ... I feel as though no woman or man should be ashamed of their body."
Suleman already has six children when she gave birth to the octuplets. Her older children range in age from 7 to 12.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart