'The Newsroom' Will Return for a Third and Final Season
Another HBO acclaimed series is coming to an end. After announcing that the fifth season of "Boardwalk Empire" would be the last for the show, the premium cable channel now renews "The Newsroom" for a third and final season.
" 'The Newsroom' is classic Aaron Sorkin - smart, riveting and thought-provoking," said HBO programming president Michael Lombardo when announcing the cancellation on Monday, January 13. "I'm sure this farewell season will be one to remember."
Production for the new season will kick off this spring for a fall premiere.
Lead actor Jeff Daniels, who won an Emmy Award for his role as news anchor Will McAvoy on the drama series, first revealed the third season renewal last September. HBO, however, said at the time that they're still in talks with creator Aaron Sorkin about schedules, stating, "We are excited about proceeding to a season 3 and are continuing our conversations with Aaron about schedules."
"The Newsroom" and "Boardwalk Empire" are not the only HBO series that will end with the coming season. "True Blood" will also return for its seventh and final chapter this year.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'