Michael Fassbender, Adam Driver and Hugo Weaving Join 'Star Wars Episode 7' Casting
After "Breaking Bad" actor Jesse Plemons was reported having a meeting with J.J. Abrams about a role in "Star Wars Episode 7", now three more actors are added to the casting mix. Michael Fassbender, Adam Driver and Hugo Weaving are among the new candidates.
Abrams writes the script with Lawrence Kasdan after Michael Arndt bowed out of the project. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Arndt left his post as a scribe for the film due to creative difference despite the statement that he exited because of scheduling conflict.
Rumor has it, Arndt wrote a story that focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), with the original stars placed in the side roles. This kind of plot allegedly didn't sit well with Abrams.
Some characters were removed from Arndt's script and new ones were added as the director wanted the classic trio to remain the main characters. The director will give them a proper send-off before the offsprings take the center stage in "Star Wars Episode 8" and "Star Wars Episode 9".
Due to the changes, the main character who was initially conceived as a 20-year-old male is now being rewritten to be 40 years old. As a result, many young actors auditioning for the part are nixed. One of the hopefuls is "Mud" star, 17-year-old Tye Sheridan.
While most of the newly-named candidates are circling unidentified roles, Weaving is rumored eying to play an Imperial commander. Producers are also looking for an actress in her 20s who is either of mixed race or black to possibly play Obi-Wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter.
"Episode 7" is planned to kick off a new trilogy on December 18, 2015. "Episode 8" is to follow in 2017 and "Episode 9" in 2019. Spin-offs that are rumored to focus on the origin stories of Han Solo and Boba Fett will be released between the entries.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'
- Chloe Moretz: 'I Wanted a Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Age 16
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk Talk About Building a Future and Having Kids Together
- Check Out These New 'Fast 8' Ice Cars From Iceland Set
- Kelly Clarkson Signs With Atlantic Records, Readies Soul Album for Next Year
- Jesse Is Back on 'The Flash' in Season 3. Will She Turn Into Speedster?