'Girls' Renewed for Season 4, Producers Offended by Question About Nudity
"Girls" season 3 has not aired yet, but already it secured a new season order. HBO has renewed the hit comedy series for a fourth season, announcing it at the 2014 Winter TCA Press Tour on Thursday, January 10 where the network also dropped the news about "Boardwalk Empire" cancellation.
The renewal news aside, another highlight at the "Girls" panel was a heated exchange between a reporter and the show's executive producers. Judd Apatow was offended when the reporter questioned the significance of nude scenes, particularly those featuring Lena Dunham, on the show.
"I don't get the purpose of all the nudity on the show - by [Dunham] in particularly," the reporter said. "I feel like I'm walking into a trap where you go, 'Nobody complains about all the nudity on 'Game of Thrones', but I get why they do it. They do it to be salacious and titillate people. And your character is often nude at random times for no reason."
Apatow, calling the question "sexist", replied, "That was a very clumsily stated question that's offensive on it's face, and you should read it and discuss it with other people how you did that. It's very offensive."
Fellow EP Jenni Konner added, "I literally was spacing out because I'm in such a rage spiral about that guy," pointing to the reporter. "I was just looking at him looking at him and going into this rage [over] this idea that you would talk to a woman like that and accuse a woman of showing her body too much. The idea it just makes me sort of sick."
Dunham, meanwhile, explained that the nudity was "a realistic expression of what it's like to be alive. But I totally get it. If you're not into me, that's your problem and you're going to have to work that out with professionals."
Praising Dunham for her courage to get naked on the show, Apatow said, "Lena is brave enough to do it." He continued, "If Paul Rudd said to me, 'I'm willing to be completely naked in the movie ['This Is 40'],' I'd do it. If Seth Rogen said he was willing to be naked - he showed his butt in a post-sex scene in 'Knocked Up' - I would use it because it's more honest. Most people are not comfortable so we don't go there."
Season 3 of "Girls" is set to premiere Sunday, January 12 at 10/9c on HBO.
More Girls News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7