'The Butler' and '12 Years a Slave' Lead Movie Nominations for 2014 NAACP Awards
Nominees for the upcoming 45th NAACP Image Awards were announced Thursday, January 9. In movie category, "Lee Daniels' The Butler" dominates the pack with a total of eight nominations, "12 Years a Slave" follows close behind with seven and "Fruitvale Station" with five.
In term of the nods garnered by movie studios, The Weinstein Company leads with 17 nominations, thanks to "The Butler", "Fruitvale Station" and the four nods collected by "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom". Fox Searchlight Pictures follows with seven, thanks to "12 Years a Slave".
Those four films are vying for Outstanding Motion Picture along with Universal's "The Best Man Holiday". Each of the lead actors from the four movies, Forest Whitaker, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael B. Jordan and Idris Elba, is additionally pitted against one another to win the title of Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture. The other contender in the category is "42" star Chadwick Boseman.
Boseman's co-star Nicole Beharie is nominated for Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture. She is facing off Angela Bassett ("Black Nativity"), Halle Berry ("The Call"), Jennifer Hudson ("Winnie Mandela"), and Kerry Washington ("Tyler Perry Presents Peeples").
David Oyelowo ("Lee Daniels' The Butler"), who is nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, helped announce the nominees during the TCA Press Tour in Pasadena, CA. along with Joe Morton ("Scandal"), Keke Palmer ("Crazy, Sexy, Cool: The TLC Story"), Bresha Webb ("Love That Girl") and Gina Torres ("Suits").
Continuing its annual tradition to celebrate the accomplishments of people of color in the fields of television, music, literature and film, the NAACP Awards will announce the winners on February 22.
Outstanding Motion Picture:
- "12 Years a Slave"
- "Fruitvale Station"
- "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
- "The Best Man Holiday"
- Chadwick Boseman - "42"
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - "12 Years a Slave"
- Forest Whitaker - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- Idris Elba - "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
- Michael B. Jordan - "Fruitvale Station"
- Angela Bassett - "Black Nativity"
- Halle Berry - "The Call"
- Jennifer Hudson - "Winnie Mandela"
- Kerry Washington - "Peeples"
- Nicole Beharie - "42"
- Cuba Gooding Jr. - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- David Oyelowo - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- Morris Chestnut - "The Best Man Holiday"
- Terrence Howard - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- Terrence Howard - "The Best Man Holiday"
- Alfre Woodard - "12 Years a Slave"
- Lupita Nyong'o - "12 Years a Slave"
- Naomie Harris - "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
- Octavia Spencer - "Fruitvale Station"
- Oprah Winfrey - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- "Blue Caprice"
- "Dallas Buyers Club"
- "Fruitvale Station"
- "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete"
- "The Trials of Muhammad Ali"
- "Call Me Kuchu"
- "High Tech, Low Life"
- "La Playa D.C."
- "Lion Ark"
- "War Witch"
- "Twenty Feet from Stardom"
- "Call Me Kuchu"
- "Free Angela & All Political Prisoners"
- "Girl Rising"
- "The New Black"
- Alfonso Cuaron, Jonas Cuaron - "Gravity"
- Brian Helgeland - "42"
- Danny Strong - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- John Ridley - "12 Years a Slave"
- Ryan Coogler - "Fruitvale Station"
- Jono Oliver - "Home"
- Justin Chadwick - "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
- Lee Daniels - "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- Malcolm D. Lee - "The Best Man Holiday"
- Steve McQueen - "12 Years a Slave"
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce