Kanye West's Lawyer Issues Cease-and-Desist Letter to Block 'Coinye' Digital Currency
Kanye West's legal team has issued a cease-and-desist letter against an anonymous group of seven web developers who created a digital currency called "Coinye West". Kim Kardashian's fiance is against the plan after learning that the bitcoin-style currency's name and image feature his likeness.
In a letter dated January 6, West's lawyer cited copyright infringement. "Given Mr. West's wide-ranging entrepreneurial accomplishments, consumers are likely to mistakenly believe that Mr. West is the source of your services," wrote Brad Rose, a partner at Pryor Cashman LLP, as quoted by Wall Street Journal.
West's legal team asked people behind Coinye not to use the name or its variation and West's likeness on the image. The lawyer also asked them to delete Coinye's Facebook and Twitter account and hand over the website. If they didn't comply, the lawyer would "notify the cryptocurrency community at large of your infringing actions and pursue all legal remedies against any business that accepts the purported COINYE WEST currency."
The group of seven entrepreneurs, however, moved up the cryptocurrency's release date to Tuesday night, January 7 "due to legal pressure." In addition to changing the name from "Coinye West" to "Coinye", the group changed the site's domain. "We want to release this to the public before the man can try to crush it. They'll still come after us, but that's OK," one of the coders said in a Skype text interview on Monday night.
More Kanye West News
- Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood Welcomes Twins at Age 68
- Tyga's New Lady Demi Rose Tries to Copy Kylie Jenner by Wearing Similar Strappy Bikini
- Shawn Mendes Teases His Upcoming Album
- Kim Kardashian Visits Snapchat Office. See Some Exclusive Filters She Gets!
- Alicia Keys Goes Makeup Free, Pens Powerful Essay About Overcoming Her Insecurities
- Simon Cowell and His Snarky Comments Make Return on 'America's Got Talent' Season 11 Premiere
- Sienna Miller Still Cares 'Enormously' for Ex-Fiance Jude Law
- Zendaya Coleman Criticized for Posting This Racy Picture