Zoe Saldana to Headline NBC's 'Rosemary's Baby' Miniseries
NBC has found its Rosemary in Zoe Saldana. The Nyota Uhura of "Star Trek Into Darkness" is cast in the lead role of the titular mother for "Rosemary's Baby" miniseries, which the network officially greenlit last December.
On the four-hour miniseries, the "Avatar" beauty will play Rosemary, a wife who moves into an apartment in Paris that has a haunted past with her husband. After getting pregnant, she becomes increasingly suspicious that both her husband and their neighbors have ulterior motives in mind when her child is born.
"Zoe has proven that she is one of our most gifted actresses, and we think she has the perfect combination of spirit and gravitas to take on the title role from Ira Levin's infamous novel," says NBC's head of longform Quinn Taylor. "With Zoe leading the cast under the direction of Agnieszka Holland, this reimagined event miniseries is off to a great start."
The show is based on the 1967 best-selling suspense novel by Ira Levin. The book was previously adapted into a 1968 feature film directed by Roman Polanski with Mia Farrow starring as Rosemary. The big-screen version was set in New York City.
Oscar and Emmy-nominated director Agnieszka Holland has been tapped to tackle the directing duty, while Scott Abbott ("Introducing Dorothy Dandridge") and James Wong ("American Horror Story") write the script. Filming is scheduled to begin shortly in Paris.
"Rosemary's Baby" is not Zaldana's first foray into television. She once guest starred on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" and had a recurring role on "Six Degrees". On the big screen, she most recently starred in "Out of the Furnace". She will lend her voice to "Book of Life" and has been cast as Gamora in "Guardians of the Galaxy".
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance