'The Piano' Director Jane Campion to Head 2014 Cannes Judging Panel
New Zealand director, producer and scriptwriter Jane Campion is to preside the Jury of the next Cannes International Film Festival, which will take place in May. There were concerns in the past years regarding the lack of female directors at the event, so the selection of Campion as the judge head is a warm welcome.
On top of that, Campion made a unique double mark in the history of the Festival de Cannes. The 59-year-old helmer becomes the only female director to have won the Palme d'or in 1993, thanks to her brilliant work in "The Piano". Before that, she already garnered the Short Film Palme d'or back in 1986 for her first short film "Peel".
"Since I first went to Cannes with my short films in 1986," Campion says, "I have had the opportunity to see the festival from many sides and my admiration for this Queen of film festivals has only grown larger. At the Cannes Film Festival they manage to combine and celebrate the glamour of the industry, the stars, the parties, the beaches, the business, while rigorously maintaining the festival's seriousness about the Art and excellence of new world cinema."
Not only did "The Piano" win Palme d'or but it also helped its cast Holly Hunter win Best Actress Award. After its Cannes wins, the film got eight nominations at the Academy Awards, including a nod for Best Director. It eventually won three prizes, Best Original Screenplay for Campion, Best Actress for Hunter, and Best Supporting Actress for Anna Paquin.
The 67th Cannes International Film Festival will run from May 14-25. Campion assumes the head judge, following Steven Spielberg who led the panel last year.
- Lisa Marie Presley Splits From Michael Lockwood After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kylie Jenner Kisses Tyga in This Sexy Photobooth Pic
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors