Dane DeHaan and Lupita Nyong'o Vie for BAFTA Rising Star Award
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has unveiled the nominations for this year's Rising Star award. Dane DeHaan, Lupita Nyong'o, Lea Seydoux, Will Poulter and George MacKay are the five young actors put in contention for the title.
Selecting the nominees were director Kirk Jones, actress Gemma Arterton (a former Rising Star nominee), producer Pete Czernin and U.K. movie critic Mark Kermode. The winner, which is based on public vote, will be announced during the EE British Academy Film Awards on February 16.
According to the panel guidelines, the nominees are those who have "demonstrated exceptional talent and ambition," and also will "have begun to capture the imagination of the British public." Previous winners include Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf and Noel Clarke.
DeHaan, who recently starred in "Kill Your Darlings" and "The Place Beyond the Pines", lands a role as Harry Osborn in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". Nyong'o has received a number of awards and nominations for her performance in Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave".
Seydoux has been applauded for her portrayal of a lesbian in Palme d'Or winner "Blue Is the Warmest Color", Poulter gained recognition after starring in commercial hit "We're the Millers", and MacKay's latest acting credits include "How I Live Now", "Sunshine on Leith" and "For Those in Peril".
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves
- Stan Lee Supports Zendaya to Portray Mary Jane in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Bring Thor and Loki to Children Hospital in Australia
- Kendall Jenner Flaunts Her Booty in Unpublished Vogue Pic
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.10 Preview: The Kidnapper Gets Attacked
- Iggy Azalea Hits Recording Studio With Verse Simmonds