Dane DeHaan and Lupita Nyong'o Vie for BAFTA Rising Star Award
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has unveiled the nominations for this year's Rising Star award. Dane DeHaan, Lupita Nyong'o, Lea Seydoux, Will Poulter and George MacKay are the five young actors put in contention for the title.
Selecting the nominees were director Kirk Jones, actress Gemma Arterton (a former Rising Star nominee), producer Pete Czernin and U.K. movie critic Mark Kermode. The winner, which is based on public vote, will be announced during the EE British Academy Film Awards on February 16.
According to the panel guidelines, the nominees are those who have "demonstrated exceptional talent and ambition," and also will "have begun to capture the imagination of the British public." Previous winners include Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf and Noel Clarke.
DeHaan, who recently starred in "Kill Your Darlings" and "The Place Beyond the Pines", lands a role as Harry Osborn in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". Nyong'o has received a number of awards and nominations for her performance in Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave".
Seydoux has been applauded for her portrayal of a lesbian in Palme d'Or winner "Blue Is the Warmest Color", Poulter gained recognition after starring in commercial hit "We're the Millers", and MacKay's latest acting credits include "How I Live Now", "Sunshine on Leith" and "For Those in Peril".
More Dane DeHaan News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance