Dane DeHaan and Lupita Nyong'o Vie for BAFTA Rising Star Award
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has unveiled the nominations for this year's Rising Star award. Dane DeHaan, Lupita Nyong'o, Lea Seydoux, Will Poulter and George MacKay are the five young actors put in contention for the title.
Selecting the nominees were director Kirk Jones, actress Gemma Arterton (a former Rising Star nominee), producer Pete Czernin and U.K. movie critic Mark Kermode. The winner, which is based on public vote, will be announced during the EE British Academy Film Awards on February 16.
According to the panel guidelines, the nominees are those who have "demonstrated exceptional talent and ambition," and also will "have begun to capture the imagination of the British public." Previous winners include Tom Hardy, James McAvoy, Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf and Noel Clarke.
DeHaan, who recently starred in "Kill Your Darlings" and "The Place Beyond the Pines", lands a role as Harry Osborn in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". Nyong'o has received a number of awards and nominations for her performance in Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave".
Seydoux has been applauded for her portrayal of a lesbian in Palme d'Or winner "Blue Is the Warmest Color", Poulter gained recognition after starring in commercial hit "We're the Millers", and MacKay's latest acting credits include "How I Live Now", "Sunshine on Leith" and "For Those in Peril".
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle