Sara Bareilles: Comparison to Katy Perry Is 'Good for My Song'
When Katy Perry released her single "Roar" back in August, fans said that the song sounded similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave". However, Bareilles said that the comparison between her song and Perry's benefited her.
"I mean, I can't say that I think that they don't sound similar," Bareilles told CBS Sunday Morning. "I've known Katy a really long time and we're friends. And at the end of the day, it was really only good for my song. So, thank you, Katy Perry for that!"
"Brave" was co-written by Bareilles with Fun.'s Jack Antonoff. In the same interview, Bareilles revealed that the empowering song was inspired by a gay friend who was afraid to come out. It then became an all-purpose face-your-fears anthem after nurses and cancer patients at a Minnesota hospital posted the clip online.
"It just felt like I was watching the song take flight and take on a life of its own," the 34-year-old singer explained. "It was becoming something bigger than it had even been intended to be. And that's always - oh my gosh, what an amazing hope for something you create."
"Brave" is a single off Bareilles' latest studio effort "The Blessed Unrest", which is now up for the coveted Album of the Year at the upcoming Grammys. The category also includes Taylor Swift's "Red", Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories", Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "The Heist".
- Justin Theroux Joins 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Mischa Barton Reveals Emotional Abuse and Blackmail by Ex-Boyfriend Who Leaked Her Sex Tape
- Jordan Peele Eyed to Direct Manga Adaptation 'Akira'
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 New Teaser Shows 'Long Walk' to the Throne
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App