Sara Bareilles: Comparison to Katy Perry Is 'Good for My Song'
When Katy Perry released her single "Roar" back in August, fans said that the song sounded similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave". However, Bareilles said that the comparison between her song and Perry's benefited her.
"I mean, I can't say that I think that they don't sound similar," Bareilles told CBS Sunday Morning. "I've known Katy a really long time and we're friends. And at the end of the day, it was really only good for my song. So, thank you, Katy Perry for that!"
"Brave" was co-written by Bareilles with Fun.'s Jack Antonoff. In the same interview, Bareilles revealed that the empowering song was inspired by a gay friend who was afraid to come out. It then became an all-purpose face-your-fears anthem after nurses and cancer patients at a Minnesota hospital posted the clip online.
"It just felt like I was watching the song take flight and take on a life of its own," the 34-year-old singer explained. "It was becoming something bigger than it had even been intended to be. And that's always - oh my gosh, what an amazing hope for something you create."
"Brave" is a single off Bareilles' latest studio effort "The Blessed Unrest", which is now up for the coveted Album of the Year at the upcoming Grammys. The category also includes Taylor Swift's "Red", Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories", Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "The Heist".
- Angelina Jolie Worries Brad Pitt Will Leave Her for Marion Cotillard
- Kanye West Kicks Off 'Saint Pablo Tour' and It Has Flying Stage. How Fans React?
- 'Frustrated' Shawn Mendes Slams Billboard for Misquoting Comments About His Fans
- Sibling Rivalry What? Khloe Kardashian Calls Kim Her 'Body Motivation'
- Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. Officially Appeal 'Blurred Lines' Copyright Verdict
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Bra During Casual Stroll While Kylie Flaunts Major Cleavage
- Demi Moore Joins Cast of R-Rated Comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are in No Rush to Walk Down the Aisle