Sara Bareilles: Comparison to Katy Perry Is 'Good for My Song'
When Katy Perry released her single "Roar" back in August, fans said that the song sounded similar to Sara Bareilles' "Brave". However, Bareilles said that the comparison between her song and Perry's benefited her.
"I mean, I can't say that I think that they don't sound similar," Bareilles told CBS Sunday Morning. "I've known Katy a really long time and we're friends. And at the end of the day, it was really only good for my song. So, thank you, Katy Perry for that!"
"Brave" was co-written by Bareilles with Fun.'s Jack Antonoff. In the same interview, Bareilles revealed that the empowering song was inspired by a gay friend who was afraid to come out. It then became an all-purpose face-your-fears anthem after nurses and cancer patients at a Minnesota hospital posted the clip online.
"It just felt like I was watching the song take flight and take on a life of its own," the 34-year-old singer explained. "It was becoming something bigger than it had even been intended to be. And that's always - oh my gosh, what an amazing hope for something you create."
"Brave" is a single off Bareilles' latest studio effort "The Blessed Unrest", which is now up for the coveted Album of the Year at the upcoming Grammys. The category also includes Taylor Swift's "Red", Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories", Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "The Heist".
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns