Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks Get Awards at Palm Springs Film Festival
A number of Hollywood stars attended the 2014 Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala on Saturday evening, January 4 at the convention center in Palm Springs, Calif. Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks were among the honorees over the weekend.
Bullock, praised for her role in "Gravity", was handed Desert Palm Achievement Award along with "Dallas Buyers Club" actor Matthew McConaughey. "August: Osage County" star Streep picked up Icon Award, and "Captain Phillips" actor Hanks was given the Chairman's Award.
During her acceptance speech, Bullock cracked a joke about one of the rumors she found when googling herself on the internet, "Julia (Roberts), apparently you and I are in a dispute over George Clooney. We talked about this. It's shared custody, and we both are fine with it," she said.
Streep, meanwhile, was humbled by her award as saying, "I don't feel like an icon. Most of the days I feel like 'I can't.' " She added, "I feel like I'm an example now in my dotage of the fact that you just can't put those old gals out to pasture. We've got a lot of stuff still to say."
Hanks who received his award from Julia Roberts talked about his experiences of shooting his two high-profiled movies "Captain Phillips" and "Saving Mr. Banks" before jokingly noted, "Tonight at table 607 the executives of Walt Disney Co. and Sony have got along just fine."
Roberts herself took home Spotlight Award, presented by her "August: Osage County" co-star Ewan McGregor. Other winners were U2's Bono for Visionary Award, Lupita Nyong'o for Breakthrough Performance Award, "American Hustle" cast for Ensemble Performance Award, and "Saving Mr. Banks" composer Thomas Newman for Frederick Loewe Award for Film Composing.
"Hustle" actress Amy Adams attended the gala with her fiance Darren Le Gallo. She wore a Juan Carlos Obando dress, Casadei shoes, a Bottega Veneta clutch, and Cartier jewelry. Co-star Bradley Cooper looked dashing in a Tom Ford suit, and Elisabeth Rohm showed some skin in a Zac Posen plunging gown. Another co-star Jeremy Renner was also among the guests.
More Sandra Bullock News
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory