Marvel and Lucasfilm Collaborate to Publish New 'Star Wars' Comics
"Star Wars" comic book series will move to Marvel. The company will partner with Lucasfilm, which is owned by "Star Wars" creator George Lucas, to release the new graphic novels. Both companies become Disney's subsidiaries after the Mouse House acquired them in 2009 and 2010 respectively.
The first "Star Wars" comic was originally published by Marvel in 1970s. It later changed home to Dark Horse which released the story ever since. Now that the comic rights returns to Marvel, a new title is set to come out in 2015, the same year when J.J. Abram's "Star Wars Episode 7" is due for release.
"Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had," says Carol Roeder, Lucasfilm franchise publishing director. "In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe."
Marvel's exec Dan Buckley adds, "We here at Marvel could not be more excited to continue the publication of Star Wars comic books and graphic novels. The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."
In the meantime, "Star Wars" comics will continue to be released by Dark Horse through 2014. "It is ironic that this announcement comes at a time when Dark Horse is experiencing its most successful year ever," says the company's founder Mike Richardson. "For obvious reasons, we have prepared for this eventuality by finding new and exciting projects to place on our schedule for 2015 and beyond."
More Star Wars News
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift