Justin Timberlake's '20/20 Experience' Is Top-Selling Album in Slow Sales Year
Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" was named the top-selling album of 2013 by Nielsen SoundScan. The album sold 2.43 million copies during the year, the only one to top the 2 million mark in the continuously diminishing market.
In fact, "The 20/20 Experience" has the lowest figure for a biggest-selling album since Nielsen SoundScan started reporting retail sales in 1991. It is also the only second album since 1991 to top the end-of-the-year chart with fewer than 3 million copies sold. Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" sold 2.87 million back in 2008.
For comparison, Adele sold 4.41 million copies of "21" during 2012 and 5.82 million copies in 2011. Despite named bestselling title for two years in a row, Adele's album showed a decline in overall album sales. Even digital sales dropped from previous year, slipping 8% from 315.96 million to 289.41 million units.
Over at the sales of singles, Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" featuring Pharrell Williams and T.I. is last year's top-seller with 6.5 million units sold. Together with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop", the single was the only two songs to cross the 6 million marks during 2013. The sale of digital songs also dropped from the previous year by 6% from 1.34 billion in 2012 to 1.26 billion last year, SoundScan reported.
However, there is hope that the album sales will surge higher in 2014 with Beyonce Knowles' self-titled album which sold 1.3 million copies in just 17 days.
More Justin Timberlake News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered