Mariah Carey Slammed by Human Rights Group for Performing in Angola
The Human Rights Foundation is not happy with Mariah Carey's recent performance in Angola. The diva reportedly received $1 million performing for the family of Jose Eduardo dos Santos, the "corrupt" president of the country.
Carey played a two-hour concert at an event held by the Angolan Red Cross. The event was sponsored by Unitel, a mobile phone company owned by Dos Santos' daughter Isabel who is also the president of the Angolan Red Cross.
Dos Santos has served as president of Angola since 1979 and has reportedly ordered the deaths of many politicians, journalists and activists who oppose him.
HRF president Thor Halvorssen has blasted Carey in a statement. "Mariah Carey can't seem to get enough dictator cash, reportedly more than $1 million this time," he wrote. "Just five years ago she performed for the family of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi."
"Now, she goes from private performances to public displays of support and credibility for one of Africa's chief human rights violators and most corrupt tyrants. It is the sad spectacle of an international artist purchased by a ruthless police state to entertain and whitewash the father-daughter kleptocracy that has amassed billions in ill-gotten wealth while the majority of Angola lives on less than $2 a day," he continued.
Carey hasn't commented on the news. The "#Beautiful" singer isn't the first musician who came under fire for performing for controversial leaders. Earlier this year, HRF criticized Jennifer Lopez and Kanye West for making money entertaining dictators of Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan, respectively.
More Mariah Carey News
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist