Mariah Carey Slammed by Human Rights Group for Performing in Angola
The Human Rights Foundation is not happy with Mariah Carey's recent performance in Angola. The diva reportedly received $1 million performing for the family of Jose Eduardo dos Santos, the "corrupt" president of the country.
Carey played a two-hour concert at an event held by the Angolan Red Cross. The event was sponsored by Unitel, a mobile phone company owned by Dos Santos' daughter Isabel who is also the president of the Angolan Red Cross.
Dos Santos has served as president of Angola since 1979 and has reportedly ordered the deaths of many politicians, journalists and activists who oppose him.
HRF president Thor Halvorssen has blasted Carey in a statement. "Mariah Carey can't seem to get enough dictator cash, reportedly more than $1 million this time," he wrote. "Just five years ago she performed for the family of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi."
"Now, she goes from private performances to public displays of support and credibility for one of Africa's chief human rights violators and most corrupt tyrants. It is the sad spectacle of an international artist purchased by a ruthless police state to entertain and whitewash the father-daughter kleptocracy that has amassed billions in ill-gotten wealth while the majority of Angola lives on less than $2 a day," he continued.
Carey hasn't commented on the news. The "#Beautiful" singer isn't the first musician who came under fire for performing for controversial leaders. Earlier this year, HRF criticized Jennifer Lopez and Kanye West for making money entertaining dictators of Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan, respectively.
More Mariah Carey News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy