Confirmed: Director Neil Burger Won't Return for 'Divergent' Sequel
Moviegoers haven't seen Neil Burger's work on "Divergent" but it has been confirmed that he won't return for the sequel. In a statement released after reports on his exit spread on Internet, Summit Entertainment reveals that scheduling issues prevent Burger from working on "Insurgent".
"Neil Burger is a rock star and he is doing a fantastic job on 'Divergent'. We can't wait for you to see the film," the studio says om the statement. "But as amazing as Neil is he still cannot be in two places at once and thus needs to finish post production on 'Divergent' while we gear up to start production on 'Insurgent' "
"So, although Neil will continue on as part of our 'Divergent' family as an executive producer, we sadly have to find another director for the next chapter in Veronica Roth's fantastic series." Summit has not announced Burger's replacement yet.
"Divergent", based on Veronica Roth's young adult novel of the same name, is set in a futuristic world where society has been divided into five factions. The story revolves around Shailene Woodley's Tris, who will never be able to fit into just one faction. It is due March 21, 2014 in the U.S.
The second movie "Insurgent" is set for a March 20, 2015 release, while the third film in the sci-fi film franchise, "Allegiant", is scheduled to open in theaters across the nation on March 18, 2016.
- Check Out J.Lo's Skin-Baring and Eva Longoria's Classy Looks at Billboard Latin Music Awards
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik Get Cuddly in V Magazine's 'Gigi's Journal'
- Get First Look at David Thewlis' Ares in New 'Wonder Woman' Footage
- 'The Flash' Movie Eying 'Back to the Future' Director Robert Zemeckis
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right