Video: Katy Perry Suffers Technical Difficulties at NRJ Awards
Katy Perry had an embarrassing night when performing at NRJ Awards in Cannes, France, over the weekend. The 29-year-old singer was caught lip-syncing her hit single "Roar" in front of thousands people who watched the show.
From the moment she appeared onstage, Perry was visually out of sync with the track and background screens. However, she continued it until the host of the show interrupted her mid-song to cut down the music.
The host kissed Perry's hand and asked, "If you don't mind we can restart, what do you think? We had a little problem. I'm really sorry to stop all your energy." Perry agreed and then restarted the song again with a noticeable difference in her pitch.
The disastrous performance happened on the same weekend as her criticized appearance on the U.K.'s "The X Factor". Perry showed up onstage dressing up as a bird in a golden outfit in a giant bird cage to sing her single "Unconditionally".
Some viewers took to Twitter to complain about both Perry's look and voice. "Why did Katy Perry choose to sing such a dirge dressed as a turkey?" one Twitter user asked. Another user added, "Katy Perry without her trusty autotune sounds like a cat screaming."
UPDATE (Dec. 19, 2013 03:22 GMT): NRJ has issued a statement to apologize for the technical problem during Katy Perry's performance at the French awards show. "Katy Perry was singing live at the NRJ Awards Saturday night in Cannes, but regrettably the wrong mix has been played accidentally which over-rode Katy's live vocal feed on-air at the beginning of her performance of 'Roar'. TF1 & NRJ would like to apologize to NRJ double award winner Katy Perry for this technical problem beyond our control," the statement read.
More Katy Perry News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival