Demi Lovato Says She 'Couldn't Go an Hour Without Cocaine'
Demi Lovato said last month that her past struggle with addiction would shock fans and now the singer shared the extent of the issue in an interview with Access Hollywood. Speaking from the set of "The X Factor (US)" on Monday, December 9, Demi said, "I'm very, very good at manipulating people and that was something that I did in my disease, I would manipulate everyone around me. There were times I would just continue to lie, so that everything looked OK on the outside."
"Something I've never talked about before, but with my drug use I could hide it to where I would sneak drugs. I couldn't go without 30 minutes to an hour without cocaine and I would bring it on airplanes," she continued. "I would smuggle it basically and just wait until everyone in first class would go to sleep and I would do it right there. I'd sneak to the bathroom and I'd do it. That's how difficult it got and that was even with somebody [with me], I had a sober companion, somebody who was watching me 24/7 and living with me [and] I was able to hide it from them as well."
The singer, who had entered rehab for her problems, hit rock bottom when she was 19. "I was going to the airport and I had a Sprite bottle just filled with vodka and it was just nine in the morning and I was throwing up in the car and this was just to get on a plane to go back to LA to the sober living house that I was staying at... I had all the help in the world, but I didn't want it," she recalled.
"I think at 19 years old, I had a moment where I was like, 'Oh my God... that is alcoholic behavior. [It's] no longer, I'm young and rebellious and out having fun, it was, wow, I'm one of those people... I gotta get my s*** together," the 21-year-old star added.
The "Neon Lights" singer left the rehab center in 2011 and she has been living sober lifestyle since then. Demi recently released a self-help book "Staying Stong: 365 Days a Year" which hopefully inspires readers who are facing hard times. She is also working on a tell-all book which will be released later.
More Demi Lovato News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences