'Scandal' Season 3 Episode Order Reduced Amid Kerry Washington's Pregnancy Report
ABC has trimmed "Scandal" season 3 episode order from the full 22-episode order to 18. It's considered unusual since the Shonda Rhimes-created drama is a hit for the network. There's no official explanation for the cutback, but the news comes on the heel of reports that lead star Kerry Washington is pregnant.
The Emmy-nominated actress herself hasn't confirmed her pregnancy, but it's highly likely that the decision to reduce "Scandal" episode was made to accomodate this. The 36-year-old, who is married to NFL player Nnamdi Asomugha, is reportedly due to give birth in spring, which would've given no time for the show to complete the filming of the last four episodes.
It has been reported before that Washington's pregnancy will not be incorporated into the storyline. Sources also tell TVLine that the writers won't write Olivia Pope out of the show for an extended period of time.
"Scandal" will air its midseason finale on December 12 before taking a winter hiatus. The show will return with new episodes starting February 27.
Earlier this year, "True Blood" had an abbreviated season 6 to accomodate the pregnancy of lead actress Anna Paquin.
"Scandal" 3.10 preview:
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'