Katy Perry Appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
Katy Perry is committed to help children with her new position as a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador. The "Unconditionally" singer was appointed as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador during an event which took place on Tuesday, December 3.
"Katy Perry is already a champion for children, and we look forward to hearing her 'roar' on behalf of UNICEF. We are delighted that she is joining us as UNICEF's newest Goodwill Ambassador and lending her remarkable voice to amplify the voices of children and young people around the world," UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake said.
"I believe young people have the power to change their own lives, with our help. I am honored to join UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador, and committed to doing everything I can to help children and adolescents who come from such different backgrounds but want the same thing: a brighter future," Perry said in a statement.
"Guys! I am SO honored to become a @UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador today! I am #unconditionallyUNICEF," the singer added in a Twitter post. She joins previous UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors that include David Beckham, Orlando Bloom, Jackie Chan and Mia Farrow among others.
After joining the organization, Perry will "work to engage young people in speaking out about the issues they believe are most important in their own lives and enlisting them more directly in coming up with solutions to those challenges." She especially will focus on children and adolescents who are in severe poverty, affected by violence, abuse, and neglect, and in emergency and conflict situations.
Earlier this year, Perry went to Madagascar to bring attention to children in the country. In October, she lent her hit song "Roar" to the soundtrack of a new PSA to inspire girls to shine. The 29-year-old singer also called for support for people affected by typhoon Haiyan which struck the Philippines in November.
Guys! I am SO honored to become a @UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador today! I am
More Katy Perry News
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie
- All One Directioners, Except Zayn Malik, Congratulate Niall Horan on His First Solo Single
- Megan Fox Steps Out for First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Third Child
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'