'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Reveals Official Plot, New Film Will Be 'Less Goofy'
The official plot for "Transformers: Age of Extinction" has been revealed. Director Michael Bay also dishes on the direction he's taking for the upcoming fourth installment of the "Transformers" movie franchise, which sees an entirely new human cast ensemble.
"Earth is scarred by the events of the past three movies, but is moving on after all the giant robots disappeared," reads an article on Empire magazine. "Cade Yeager, an inventor, discovers a buried Transformer which sets the stage for the return of the rest of the Transformers."
The mag's latest issue offers the first look at Optimus Prime as the Autobot leader graces its front page. A series of set pictures are featured on the spread inside. They see the likes of Bay, BumbleBee, Mark Wahlberg, Jack Reynor, and Nicola Peltz.
Yahoo! has also dropped by the movie's set. During the visit, the director spills, "I wanted the first Transformers to be very suburban and less cool." He adds, "This is a much more cinematic one. I focused on keeping this one slick. There won't be any goofiness in this one. We went a bit too goofy [on the last one]."
Despite the updated robots and the fresh cast members, Bay insists "reboot" is not the right word to describe the movie. "It feels like a new chapter, this movie," he reasons. "But it's not a reboot. This movie lives in the history of the 'Transformers' movies, and this one starts three years after the last. It feels fresh."
The film will be released in the United States on June 27, 2014 in 3D. Wahlberg plays Yeager, replacing Shia LaBeouf's Sam Witwicky. Peltz is cast as his daughter and Reynor is her love interest, while Kelsey Grammer tackles the villainous role.
The newly-announced plot sounds similar to the one revealed by Michigan Film Office but then denied by Paramount. "As humanity picks up the pieces, following the conclusion of 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon', Autobots and Decepticons have all but vanished from the face of the planet."
"However, a group of powerful, ingenious businessman and scientists attempt to learn from past Transformer incursions and push the boundaries of technology beyond what they can control - all while an ancient, powerful Transformer menace sets Earth in his crosshairs. The epic adventure and battle between good and evil, freedom and enslavement ensues."
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media