'Frozen' Poised to Open Big at Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend
With good reviews coming its way, "Frozen (2013)" is expected to open big at Thanksgiving weekend. The Disney Pictures animation is predicted to make $70 million over five days in its first weekend in wide release, but it is unlikely to beat "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" in the domestic box office.
"Frozen" had been introduced at El Capitan Theater in Hollywood last week and garnered more than $243,000. Critics have also given favorable reviews to the 3D animation. Rotten Tomatoes noted 87 percent of them said it's among the "fresh."
Disney has continuously delivered strong contenders for Thanksgiving holiday. In 2007, "Enchanted" took in $49 million in its opening weekend while in 2010, "Tangled" successfully opened to $68.7 million income.
Meanwhile, "Catching Fire" had landed itself in the fourth position of the best domestic opening ever with $161.1 million opening. The second week run is likely to post another big gross with ticket sales around $85 million starting from Wednesday, November 27 through Sunday, December 1.
Another strong number is expected from "Thor: The Dark World" which is likely to post $15 million this upcoming weekend and sit at number 3 at the domestic box office. Newcomer "Black Nativity" is poised to make $14 million and take the fourth position. Despite its publicity, Spike Lee's "Oldboy", is expected to make less than $3 million for it was shown in about 580 theaters only.
- Azealia Banks Unveils 'So Ghetto' Freestyle, RZA Sides With Russell Crowe After Record Deal Canceled
- Sofia Richie Blasts Tobey Maguire Romance Rumors
- Shailene Woodley Pleads Not Guilty in Pipeline Protest
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Get Nose Jobs as Humanoid Pets
- Stephen Baldwin Not Fan of Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump Impersonation on 'SNL'
- Kanye West Rips Jay-Z in Shocking Rant: 'There Will Never Be a Watch the Throne 2'
- 'Logan' Introduces X-23 in Official Teaser Trailer
- Watch This Chilling Video of Kim Kardashian Paris Robbery!