'Frozen' Poised to Open Big at Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend
With good reviews coming its way, "Frozen (2013)" is expected to open big at Thanksgiving weekend. The Disney Pictures animation is predicted to make $70 million over five days in its first weekend in wide release, but it is unlikely to beat "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" in the domestic box office.
"Frozen" had been introduced at El Capitan Theater in Hollywood last week and garnered more than $243,000. Critics have also given favorable reviews to the 3D animation. Rotten Tomatoes noted 87 percent of them said it's among the "fresh."
Disney has continuously delivered strong contenders for Thanksgiving holiday. In 2007, "Enchanted" took in $49 million in its opening weekend while in 2010, "Tangled" successfully opened to $68.7 million income.
Meanwhile, "Catching Fire" had landed itself in the fourth position of the best domestic opening ever with $161.1 million opening. The second week run is likely to post another big gross with ticket sales around $85 million starting from Wednesday, November 27 through Sunday, December 1.
Another strong number is expected from "Thor: The Dark World" which is likely to post $15 million this upcoming weekend and sit at number 3 at the domestic box office. Newcomer "Black Nativity" is poised to make $14 million and take the fourth position. Despite its publicity, Spike Lee's "Oldboy", is expected to make less than $3 million for it was shown in about 580 theaters only.
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake