Amy Robach Says She Got Lucky After Doctor Found Second Tumor During Mastectomy
Amy Robach has given an update on her condition after revealing her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this month. In a message posted on ABCNews.com, the "Good Morning America" anchor thanks her ABC colleagues for their support and shares news about he recovery after undergoing a bilateral mastectomy.
"My prognosis is good," she writes. She says that her surgeon "found a second, undetected malignant tumor" during her surgery last week. "No MRI, no mammogram, no sonogram had found it...it was only through the mastectomy that she discovered it," she adds, considering herself "very lucky" for choosing an aggressive approach which detected the second tumor.
She goes on sharing, "My cancer had spread to my sentinel lymph node, but not beyond, so I will have more treatments ahead of me, but none that will take me out of work." The 40-year-old journalist, who is married to "Melrose Place" actor Andrew Shue, plans to go back to work on Monday, December 2 and she "couldn't be more excited to get back to work."
Robach was convinced by "GMA" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who's a cancer survivor, to take a mammogram on-air for a Pink Day edition of the show in October. On November 11, she announced on the morning show that she had breast cancer.
"While everyone who gets cancer is clearly unlucky, I got lucky by catching it early, and there are so many people to thank for making sure I did," she wrote in an essay at the time. "Every producer, every person who urged me to do this, changed my trajectory."
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Features Surprise Return of 'Iron Man' Character
- Jamie Foxx Says Dating at 49 Is 'Tough' Amid Katie Holmes Romance Rumors
- Fans Are Losing It Over Eminem's New Beard - See Their Hilarious Reactions
- Stephen Colbert Announces Plan to Run for President in 2020, Asks Russians' Help for His Campaign
- Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Creators Slapped With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
- Caitlyn Jenner Fuels Dating Rumors With This Blonde Beauty
- Snoop Dogg Denies Mocking His 'Nephew' Young Thug in 'Moment I Feared' Video
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 9 Finale: Does Your Favorite Win?