Amy Robach Says She Got Lucky After Doctor Found Second Tumor During Mastectomy
Amy Robach has given an update on her condition after revealing her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this month. In a message posted on ABCNews.com, the "Good Morning America" anchor thanks her ABC colleagues for their support and shares news about he recovery after undergoing a bilateral mastectomy.
"My prognosis is good," she writes. She says that her surgeon "found a second, undetected malignant tumor" during her surgery last week. "No MRI, no mammogram, no sonogram had found it...it was only through the mastectomy that she discovered it," she adds, considering herself "very lucky" for choosing an aggressive approach which detected the second tumor.
She goes on sharing, "My cancer had spread to my sentinel lymph node, but not beyond, so I will have more treatments ahead of me, but none that will take me out of work." The 40-year-old journalist, who is married to "Melrose Place" actor Andrew Shue, plans to go back to work on Monday, December 2 and she "couldn't be more excited to get back to work."
Robach was convinced by "GMA" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who's a cancer survivor, to take a mammogram on-air for a Pink Day edition of the show in October. On November 11, she announced on the morning show that she had breast cancer.
"While everyone who gets cancer is clearly unlucky, I got lucky by catching it early, and there are so many people to thank for making sure I did," she wrote in an essay at the time. "Every producer, every person who urged me to do this, changed my trajectory."
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Confirm Return for 'DWTS' Season 24
- Katy Perry Goes to 'Oblivia' Theme Park in 'Chained to the Rhythm' Music Video
- 'Hellboy 3' Is Dead, Director Guillermo Del Toro Says
- 'InHumans' Announces 'Game of Thrones' Alum as Maximus
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order
- Han Solo Movie Offers First Picture of Cast Members in Millennium Falcon
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle