Amy Robach Says She Got Lucky After Doctor Found Second Tumor During Mastectomy
Amy Robach has given an update on her condition after revealing her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this month. In a message posted on ABCNews.com, the "Good Morning America" anchor thanks her ABC colleagues for their support and shares news about he recovery after undergoing a bilateral mastectomy.
"My prognosis is good," she writes. She says that her surgeon "found a second, undetected malignant tumor" during her surgery last week. "No MRI, no mammogram, no sonogram had found it...it was only through the mastectomy that she discovered it," she adds, considering herself "very lucky" for choosing an aggressive approach which detected the second tumor.
She goes on sharing, "My cancer had spread to my sentinel lymph node, but not beyond, so I will have more treatments ahead of me, but none that will take me out of work." The 40-year-old journalist, who is married to "Melrose Place" actor Andrew Shue, plans to go back to work on Monday, December 2 and she "couldn't be more excited to get back to work."
Robach was convinced by "GMA" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who's a cancer survivor, to take a mammogram on-air for a Pink Day edition of the show in October. On November 11, she announced on the morning show that she had breast cancer.
"While everyone who gets cancer is clearly unlucky, I got lucky by catching it early, and there are so many people to thank for making sure I did," she wrote in an essay at the time. "Every producer, every person who urged me to do this, changed my trajectory."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance