Alanis Morissette's 'Jagged Little Pill' Turned to Broadway Musical
Alanis Morissette is making a foray into the Broadway world, bringing her 1995 LP "Jagged Little Pill" along. A musical is being developed based on the album, encompassing songs such as "You Oughta Know", "Ironic" and "Head Over Feet" in addition to other songs from her catalog and new compositions written specifically for the stage production.
Tony and Pulitzer Prize winner Tom Kitt, who worked on the Broadway musical of Green Day's "American Idiot", will assist Morissette in the orchestration and arrangements for the musical. Meanwhile, Broadway veteran and "American Idiot" producer Vivek J. Tiwary will produce the musical, which is also titled "Jagged Little Pill", with Arvind Ethan David.
"I look forward to taking the heart of Jagged Little Pill and expanding its story, fleshing it out into ever deeper layers of emotionality, specificity, humanity, power, physicality, spirit and fabulism," Morissette said in the announcement. "I look forward to collaborating with Vivek and Tom and our whole inspiring team to create something greater than the sum of our parts."
No director and cast were immediately announced, but the musical is expected to debut as a workshop production next year.
"Jagged Little Pill" is by far the best-selling debut release by a female artist in the U.S. and the highest-selling debut album worldwide in music history with 33 million copies sold. Morissette won a Grammy for Album of the Year while "You Oughta Know" won Best Female Rock Vocal Performance and Best Rock Song.
More Alanis Morissette News
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger