'Today' Video: Matt Lauer and Al Roker Undergo Prostate Exams on Air
As an attempt to raise awareness for men's health issue, Matt Lauer and Al Roker underwent prostate exams live on "Today" as promised before. On Thursday morning, November 7, the two visited Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan where Lauer's doctor of five years, Dr. David Samadi, would administer the procedure.
The routine check, which was conducted off camera, only took 34 seconds and "it doesn't hurt at all," said Lauer, who went in first. "The best 34 seconds of your life? Probably not," he added, "But if in 34 seconds a guy like this can detect something that might save your life, what are we talkin' about, it's worth it."
Roker then went in next. The weatherman admitted, "It's not comfortable," but it's "certainly, obviously do-able." Dr. Samadi said Lauer's prostate is healthy, while Roker's is "a little enlarged, but it's not terrible." Lauer and Roker had earlier undergone a "PSA" blood test, which checks for elevated levels of protein in the blood.
Lauer then offered some advice to men, "I think a lot of guys are also concerned about the embarrassment factor of it, so my advice would be find a doctor you're very comfortable with. That embarrassment factor is not going to be an issue."
More Today News
- Conspiracy Theorists Claim Elvis Presley Is Alive and Attended His 82nd Birthday
- Kim Kardashian 'Had a Secret Fling' With 'Celebrity Big Brother' Star Calum Best
- 'The Flash' Also Brings Back Rick Cosnett's Eddie Thawne, but How?
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'