'Today' Video: Matt Lauer and Al Roker Undergo Prostate Exams on Air
As an attempt to raise awareness for men's health issue, Matt Lauer and Al Roker underwent prostate exams live on "Today" as promised before. On Thursday morning, November 7, the two visited Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan where Lauer's doctor of five years, Dr. David Samadi, would administer the procedure.
The routine check, which was conducted off camera, only took 34 seconds and "it doesn't hurt at all," said Lauer, who went in first. "The best 34 seconds of your life? Probably not," he added, "But if in 34 seconds a guy like this can detect something that might save your life, what are we talkin' about, it's worth it."
Roker then went in next. The weatherman admitted, "It's not comfortable," but it's "certainly, obviously do-able." Dr. Samadi said Lauer's prostate is healthy, while Roker's is "a little enlarged, but it's not terrible." Lauer and Roker had earlier undergone a "PSA" blood test, which checks for elevated levels of protein in the blood.
Lauer then offered some advice to men, "I think a lot of guys are also concerned about the embarrassment factor of it, so my advice would be find a doctor you're very comfortable with. That embarrassment factor is not going to be an issue."
- 'Supergirl' Casts Superman Villain Metallo for Season 2
- Blac Chyna Poses Nearly Naked for Elle and Calls Her Ex Tyga 'Kinda Cheap'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Recap: Mary Drake's Child Revealed, Someone Dead
- Mel C Reveals Why She Turned Down Spice Girls Reunion
- Drake and Rihanna Are 'Fully Dating' as They're Done 'Hiding' Their Relationship
- Miranda Kerr Reveals Ex Orlando Bloom Warned Her About His Penis Photos
- 'Star Wars' Actor Ian McDiarmid Confirms He Won't Return as Emperor Palpatine in 'Rogue One'
- Jaden and Willow Smith Want to Retire in 10 Years