'Today' Video: Matt Lauer and Al Roker Undergo Prostate Exams on Air
As an attempt to raise awareness for men's health issue, Matt Lauer and Al Roker underwent prostate exams live on "Today" as promised before. On Thursday morning, November 7, the two visited Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan where Lauer's doctor of five years, Dr. David Samadi, would administer the procedure.
The routine check, which was conducted off camera, only took 34 seconds and "it doesn't hurt at all," said Lauer, who went in first. "The best 34 seconds of your life? Probably not," he added, "But if in 34 seconds a guy like this can detect something that might save your life, what are we talkin' about, it's worth it."
Roker then went in next. The weatherman admitted, "It's not comfortable," but it's "certainly, obviously do-able." Dr. Samadi said Lauer's prostate is healthy, while Roker's is "a little enlarged, but it's not terrible." Lauer and Roker had earlier undergone a "PSA" blood test, which checks for elevated levels of protein in the blood.
Lauer then offered some advice to men, "I think a lot of guys are also concerned about the embarrassment factor of it, so my advice would be find a doctor you're very comfortable with. That embarrassment factor is not going to be an issue."
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel