Eminem: 'Rap God' Is Not Homophobic
Last month, Eminem was slammed by many people, including openly gay musicians, after releasing a song called "Rap God". The Detroit rapper was accused of being homophobic for using lines like "little gay-looking boy" and "f***t" in the track that will be featured in his newest album, "MMLP2".
Now, Eminem responded to the accusation in a new interview with Rolling Stone. He insisted that the lyrics in the song were not meant to hurt anyone, saying, "I don't know how to say this without saying it how I've said it a million times. But that word, those kind of words, when I came up battle-rappin' or whatever, I never really equated those words [to mean homosexual]."
"It was more like calling someone a b**ch or a punk or a**hole. So that word was just thrown around so freely back then," he explained. "It goes back to that battle, back and forth in my head, of wanting to feel free to say what I want to say, and then [worrying about] what may or may not affect people. And, not saying it's wrong or it's right, but at this point in my career - man, I say so much s**t that's tongue-in-cheek."
"I poke fun at other people, myself. But the real me sitting here right now talking to you has no issues with gay, straight, transgender, at all," he continued. "I'm glad we live in a time where it's really starting to feel like people can live their lives and express themselves. And I don't know how else to say this, I still look at myself the same way that I did when I was battling and broke."
Eminem also said that he'd been in the industry for years, so people should have known how he worked on his music. "Well, look, I've been doing this s**t for, what, 14 years now? And I think people know my personal stance on things and the personas that I create in my music," he added. "And if someone doesn't understand that by now, I don't think there's anything I can do to change their mind about it."
More Eminem News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences