Eminem: 'Rap God' Is Not Homophobic
Last month, Eminem was slammed by many people, including openly gay musicians, after releasing a song called "Rap God". The Detroit rapper was accused of being homophobic for using lines like "little gay-looking boy" and "f***t" in the track that will be featured in his newest album, "MMLP2".
Now, Eminem responded to the accusation in a new interview with Rolling Stone. He insisted that the lyrics in the song were not meant to hurt anyone, saying, "I don't know how to say this without saying it how I've said it a million times. But that word, those kind of words, when I came up battle-rappin' or whatever, I never really equated those words [to mean homosexual]."
"It was more like calling someone a b**ch or a punk or a**hole. So that word was just thrown around so freely back then," he explained. "It goes back to that battle, back and forth in my head, of wanting to feel free to say what I want to say, and then [worrying about] what may or may not affect people. And, not saying it's wrong or it's right, but at this point in my career - man, I say so much s**t that's tongue-in-cheek."
"I poke fun at other people, myself. But the real me sitting here right now talking to you has no issues with gay, straight, transgender, at all," he continued. "I'm glad we live in a time where it's really starting to feel like people can live their lives and express themselves. And I don't know how else to say this, I still look at myself the same way that I did when I was battling and broke."
Eminem also said that he'd been in the industry for years, so people should have known how he worked on his music. "Well, look, I've been doing this s**t for, what, 14 years now? And I think people know my personal stance on things and the personas that I create in my music," he added. "And if someone doesn't understand that by now, I don't think there's anything I can do to change their mind about it."
More Eminem News
- Corey Gamble Reportedly Cheats on Kris Jenner With Kourtney Kardashian - Is It True?
- She's Scarily Skinny! Janice Dickinson Looks Thinner Amid Health Crisis
- Drake Blocks Ariana Grande and Blake Shelton From Billboard 200's No. 1
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans