home  |  celeb  |  music  |  movie  |  tv
Home > Movie News

Joe Cornish Is Frontrunner to Direct 'Star Trek 3'

November 4, 2013, 2:55 am GMT

The 'Attack the Block' director is reportedly the top choice to replace J.J. Abrams as the director of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' follow-up.

Joe Cornish

"Star Trek 3" could be directed by Joe Cornish. The British actor/screenwriter who made his directorial debut in 2011's "Attack the Block" has long been attached to the project, and now he is rumored to be on top of Paramount's list to replace J.J. Abrams at the helm.

Abrams leaves his directing post on the franchise to focus on a rebooted "Star Wars" trilogy starting with "Star Wars Episode 7". "It's a little bittersweet," he said. "Whomever it is that directs the film will be someone we all know is going to keep the cast and crew in good hands."

The director, however, will still be involved in the "Star Trek Into Darkness" sequel as a producer. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are returning to pen the script. Production is expected to begin sometime next year for a planned summer 2015 release.

Jon M. Chu and Rupert Wyatt were also previously mentioned to direct the third "Star Trek". The former dismissed his rumored involvement in the project, while the latter neither denied nor confirmed it. Abrams himself once said, "We'd be lucky to have someone as talented as Rupert."

Since his 2011 directorial debut, Cornish helped write "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" and the upcoming Marvel film "Ant-Man". He is currently directing Paramount's film adaptation of Neal Stephenson's classic 1992 novel titled "Snow Crash".

TODAY'S HEADLINES

'Justice League: Dark' Script Is Finished

November 26, 2014, 9:21 am GMT

Ridley Scott Won't Direct 'Blade Runner 2'

November 26, 2014, 8:31 am GMT
Switch to Desktop Version.