Cult Horror Movie 'Trick 'r Treat' Gets Sequel
"Trick 'r Treat 2" is officially in the works. The follow-up to Bryan Singer-produced Halloween film starring Dylan Baker, Rochelle Aytes and Anna Paquin is confirmed by Michael Dougherty, Singer's frequent collaborator who wrote and directed the 2007 cult horror movie.
The first film follows Sam, a pint-sized trick-or-treater with a burlap sack over his head, who punishes anyone who dares to break Halloween tradition. Warner Bros. was on hand to release it in theaters but backed out. "I think we got screwed because we didn't follow a trend," Dougherty told Wired.
It was eventually given a straight-to-DVD release and quickly picked up a cult following. It finally got a theatrical release, though only a one-night-only screening, at the Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles during Beyond Fest. The event followed by a Q&A session was live-streamed on Facebook.
"I think we'll shake it up a little bit," Dougherty told EW about his plan for the next film. "There are different archetypes I'd like to explore, different types of monsters. We covered werewolves, vampires, and zombies, but there's a whole slew of different creatures out there that we haven't tackled, and I think Sam would probably be pretty good buddies with. So I think it's time to let them have their time in the sun."
"We could probably do a Trick 'r Treat movie every year or every other year, and that it would sort of just be a new batch of stories and characters. And the common link between all of them would be Sam," he added.
The "X-Men" director will return as a producer for the upcoming sequel. With Legendary Pictures backing them up, the new film will hopefully get a wide release in theaters across the country.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival