Melissa McCarthy and More Honored at Elle's Women in Hollywood
On Monday, October 21, Elle magazine honored eight female celebrities at its 20th annual Women in Hollywood event for their achievements and impact on the film industry. Among those recognized was Elle's own November issue cover girl, the Emmy award-winner Melissa McCarthy who broke into tears while giving her acceptance speech after being presented with her award by Kathy Bates.
Being acknowledged alongside Shailene Woodley, Marion Cotillard, Nancy Meyers, Eva Marie Saint, Reese Witherspoon, Naomie Harris and Penelope Cruz, the plus-sized McCarthy highlighted individuality and how beauty and greatness can come in many forms, shapes and sizes. Addressing her two daughters, the actress said, "I want them to know that their self-worth is generated from their actions and their deeds. They do not have to be perfect to be remarkable."
McCarthy's message was actually made tangible on her Elle November cover shot, where she looked stunning despite not showing off any skin. She's covered in a Marina Rinaldi coat for the photo shoot. However, contrary to being lauded for her fashionable image, McCarthy came into much criticism and fuss over it, purportedly for trying to hide her full figure instead of being proud about it, something that the "Bridesmaids" star did not expect.
"What I found so bizarre is I picked the coat," McCarthy revealed. "I grabbed the coat. I covered up. I had a great black dress on but I thought, it comes out in November. I was so sick of summer. I live in Southern California. I was like, 'Give me a big coat to wear. Give the girl some cashmere!' " In response to the backlash, an Elle spokesperson said their stylists worked with McCarthy "to choose pieces they feel good in."
- Calvin Harris Takes a Dig at Taylor Swift in 'My Way' Video
- 'Rambo' Gets 'New Blood' Remake Without Sylvester Stallone
- Listen to Alessia Cara's 'Moana' Song 'How Far I'll Go'
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Hacker Sentenced to 18 Months in Jail
- Kid Cudi Reacts to Drake's Diss Track: 'Say It to My Face, P*ssy'
- First Look at New Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant' Leaks
- Alec Baldwin Accused of Tax Evasion
- John Mayer Names His New Album 'The Search for Everything'