Stephen Lang Confirmed to Reprise His Villainous Role in All 'Avatar' Sequels
The evil Marine Colonel Quaritch will be brought back to the "Avatar" universe, despite the fact that he met his demise in the first film. Stephen Lang, who played the villain in the 2009 movie, is confirmed by director James Cameron to return not just for the second entry but for the third and fourth installments as well.
"Steven was so memorable in the first film, we're privileged to have him back," he said. "I'm not going to say exactly how we're bringing him back, but it's a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who's also become a good friend."
The three new movies are expected to be filmed one after the other, with "Avatar 2" planned to kick off its principal production in October 2014. The plan reportedly is to complete the shootings within a year ahead of each new installment's annual release.
The second "Avatar" installment is slated for December 2016 with Josh Friedman tapped to pen the script, "Avatar 3" is scheduled for December 2017 with Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver as the screenwriters, and "Avatar 4" is planned for 2018 with Shane Salerno as the scribe.
Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana will reprise their roles as Jake Sully and Princess Neytiri respectively. Other cast members haven't been announced.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die