'Skyfall' Star Ben Whishaw to Play Freddie Mercury in Biopic
Ben Whishaw is the frontrunner to play Queen's rocker Freddie Mercury in upcoming biopic, so Roger Taylor spills in a radio interview with Chris Evans and Alex Jones. He initially only gave the initial "BW" when the topic came up. Jones pressed further, asking if it was the "Skyfall" actor, to which the drummer confirmed, "Well, we hope so."
The late singer was originally set to be played by Sacha Baron Cohen, but he dropped out of the movie due to creative differences. "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe and "Captain America: The First Avenger" thesp Dominic Cooper were previously linked to replace the "Borat" actor, but the "Kill Your Darlings" star was quick to deny his involvement in the project.
Cohen was said planning to offer a gritty R-rated look at the life of the iconic rocker in the upcoming movie, but the band's remaining members who serve as producers allegedly wanted it to be a PG one. Taylor later explained their issues with the funnyman, "We felt Sacha probably wasn't right in the end. We didn't want it to be a joke. We want people to be moved."
Whishaw, 33, is best known for his role as computer genius Q in the latest James Bond film, "Skyfall". He was last seen in "Cloud Atlas" and will next appear in "Lilting", "The Zero Theorem" and "Days and Nights" among others.
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott 'Definitely Looked Like a Couple' at NBA Game
- Aaron Hernandez Asked to Share Prison Cell With Alleged Gay Lover
- 'Jurassic Park' Alum Jeff Goldblum Joins 'Jurassic World 2'
- 'The Voice' Live Top 12 Eliminations: Who Is the First to Get Sent Home?
- Justin Bieber Is Featured on DJ Khaled's Star-Studded Single 'I'm the One'
- Nicki Minaj's Getting Trolled for Blonde Bob Wig: 'I'm Tired of Being Bullied'
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together