'Doctor Who' Star Matt Smith to Lead 'American Psycho' Musical
Matt Smith is returning to his stage roots. The "Doctor Who" actor is tapped to star in Rupert Goold's upcoming London production of "American Psycho" musical. He will play Patrick Bateman, a businessman who turns into a cold-blooded murderer as his sanity slowly disintegrates.
"The opportunity to work with Rupert Goold, a director of great vision and flair, combined with the brilliant story and music, seemed like such a cool challenge," Smith says. The director chimes in, "Matt Smith is a wonderful stage performer and the perfect actor not only to lead our exceptional cast but also my first show as artistic director here at the Almeida."
The stage thriller will begin its run December 3 at London's Almeida Theatre and continue through January 25, 2014. The official opening night is slated for December 12. The show reportedly almost sold out within hours after Smith's involvement was announced.
Tony Award-winning composer Duncan Sheik works together with "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" scriptwriter Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to adapt Bret Easton Ellis' 1991 novel of the same title for the play. The story was previously adapted into the big screen in 2000 with Christian Bale on the lead.
Smith, 30, will make his final appearances as the 11th incarnation of the title character in "Doctor Who" this coming November on its 50th anniversary episode and then on its Christmas special, before the 12th Doctor (Peter Capaldi) is brought in to the BBC long-running series. Smith was the youngest actor to play the time lord on the show.
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney