Amy Poehler and Charlize Theron Get Teary at Power of Women Luncheon
Amy Poehler and Charlize Theron got emotional as they were recognized for their philanthropic work at the 2013 Variety Power of Women Luncheon on October 4. Speaking on the podium, Poehler told audience members to close their eyes and remember moments from their childhood.
"Open your eyes and realize that there are so many children in the world who have nothing," the "Parks and Recreation" star said. Her eyes brimmed with tears. "They have nothing. They have no one who lights up when they walk in a room, and no clothes, or safety, or food. And so who are we to be in this room, and be somebody living this life without helping them?"
Theron, who is a vocal advocate for HIV awareness and AIDS research, shared a story of her childhood in South Africa, telling the guests that "12 percent of South Africa's population is HIV positive." The tearful actress added, "It's impossible for me to accept this award because there's someone here so much more powerful than me."
"I hope you're okay with me giving this award to my mom. That b***h was building roads in Africa when no woman was doing that. I thank you, Mom, for teaching me to by your actions how to be a strong woman, and for turning me into a p***y every time I talk to you," Theron said.
The event, which was held at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., was also attended by other Lifetime Impact honorees such as Nicole Kidman, Kerry Washington, Jennifer Hudson, Elizabeth Banks and Sony Pictures cochair Amy Pascal. In her speech, Kidman told the audience about her work with international organization U.N. Women. "I became involved with this organization because I was raised by a feminist mother - and she said to never be frightened of using the F-word!" she said.
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!