Amy Poehler and Charlize Theron Get Teary at Power of Women Luncheon
Amy Poehler and Charlize Theron got emotional as they were recognized for their philanthropic work at the 2013 Variety Power of Women Luncheon on October 4. Speaking on the podium, Poehler told audience members to close their eyes and remember moments from their childhood.
"Open your eyes and realize that there are so many children in the world who have nothing," the "Parks and Recreation" star said. Her eyes brimmed with tears. "They have nothing. They have no one who lights up when they walk in a room, and no clothes, or safety, or food. And so who are we to be in this room, and be somebody living this life without helping them?"
Theron, who is a vocal advocate for HIV awareness and AIDS research, shared a story of her childhood in South Africa, telling the guests that "12 percent of South Africa's population is HIV positive." The tearful actress added, "It's impossible for me to accept this award because there's someone here so much more powerful than me."
"I hope you're okay with me giving this award to my mom. That b***h was building roads in Africa when no woman was doing that. I thank you, Mom, for teaching me to by your actions how to be a strong woman, and for turning me into a p***y every time I talk to you," Theron said.
The event, which was held at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., was also attended by other Lifetime Impact honorees such as Nicole Kidman, Kerry Washington, Jennifer Hudson, Elizabeth Banks and Sony Pictures cochair Amy Pascal. In her speech, Kidman told the audience about her work with international organization U.N. Women. "I became involved with this organization because I was raised by a feminist mother - and she said to never be frightened of using the F-word!" she said.
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?