'The Simpsons' Renewed for 26th Season
"The Simpsons" is here to stay on FOX. The network has renewed the Matt Groening-created show for a historic 26th season that will bring its episode tally to a whopping 574, strengthening its status as the longest-running American primetime, scripted television series.
Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company, says in a statement announcing the renewal, "For more than a quarter of a century, 'The Simpsons' has captured the hearts and minds of fans in a way that transcends ages, languages and cultures. This groundbreaking series is not only the longest-running scripted show in television history, it's one of the greatest sitcoms of our time, and I'm looking forward to yet another landmark season."
The 25th season of the animated show premiered last Sunday, September 29. The season opener ranked as the No. 1 entertainment program of the night among Adults 18-49 and was up 12% from last season's average.
The show will air its annual Halloween special, "Treehouse of Horror XXIV", on October 6 at 8 P.M. ET on FOX. Renowned filmmaker Guillermo del Toro created an epic couch gag for the episode, paying homages to classic horror movies as well as his own works like "Hellboy", "Blade II" and "Pan's Labyrinth".
Executive producer Al Jean recently spilled that a character would soon meet his/her demise. "We're actually working on a script where a character will pass away," he said, adding that "the story will be produced this year though it may air in season 26."
"The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIV" clips:
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3