'The Simpsons' Renewed for 26th Season
"The Simpsons" is here to stay on FOX. The network has renewed the Matt Groening-created show for a historic 26th season that will bring its episode tally to a whopping 574, strengthening its status as the longest-running American primetime, scripted television series.
Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company, says in a statement announcing the renewal, "For more than a quarter of a century, 'The Simpsons' has captured the hearts and minds of fans in a way that transcends ages, languages and cultures. This groundbreaking series is not only the longest-running scripted show in television history, it's one of the greatest sitcoms of our time, and I'm looking forward to yet another landmark season."
The 25th season of the animated show premiered last Sunday, September 29. The season opener ranked as the No. 1 entertainment program of the night among Adults 18-49 and was up 12% from last season's average.
The show will air its annual Halloween special, "Treehouse of Horror XXIV", on October 6 at 8 P.M. ET on FOX. Renowned filmmaker Guillermo del Toro created an epic couch gag for the episode, paying homages to classic horror movies as well as his own works like "Hellboy", "Blade II" and "Pan's Labyrinth".
Executive producer Al Jean recently spilled that a character would soon meet his/her demise. "We're actually working on a script where a character will pass away," he said, adding that "the story will be produced this year though it may air in season 26."
"The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIV" clips:
More The Simpsons News
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance
- ABC's 'Gong Show' Reboot Taps Tommy Maitland or Presumably Mike Myers in Disguise to Host
- Independent Justin Bieber's Reportedly Doing His Own Underwear Laundry When Staying at Posh Hotel