Video: Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon Mock Hashtag Trend in Comedy Sketch
Jimmy Fallon collaborated with frequent guest star Justin Timberlake again for another amusing sketch on his show "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon". This time, they poked fun at the the current obsession with speaking hashtags out loud.
In the skit aired on Tuesday, September 24, the comedian and the singer/actor hung out in "Late Night" guest room, talking about homemade cookies, TV shows and their plans for Halloween. They created hashtags for everything they said, such as "hashtag [the sound of Cookie Monster eating]", "hashtag LOLOLOLOL" and "hashtag [Ray Romano calling for Debra]".
Questlove contributed to the hashtag speech, telling Fallon and Timberlake, "Hey guys, hashtag shut the f**k up," as the two guys got too noisy.
Just last week, Timberlake appeared in Fallon's sketch which flashed back to their 1995 summer. The "young" Fallon and Timberlake sang "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie & The Blowfish at Camp Winnipesaukee.
Hashtag (#) was introduced by Chris Messina into the Twitter lexicon in 2007, but it's just recently that people began saying hashtags out loud. Commenting on the comedy skit, Messina said it could be "a depiction of what the future is going to look like, which may be terrifying to some."
He added, "More and more I'm getting friends telling me how their kids are hashtagging everything that they say. The sort of prideful fear that I have is that what [Fallon] depicted is actually how teenagers are talking now.... That's not something I had really anticipated and now that I'm here I'm kind of like, 'Oh my God... what have I done?' "
"#Hashtag" with Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake:
Young Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake Sing at Camp Winnipesaukee:
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars