One Direction Ranked as 2013's Most Powerful Star Under 21
The quintet of One Direction, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan and Liam Payne, has topped Billboard's 21 Under 21 list of 2013's most powerful stars. The British-Irish boyband took the spot from last year's No. 1 Justin Bieber, who fell to the runner-up position due mainly to the bad publicity that has continued to hound him.
1D bagged the top spot based on the chart-topping performance of their sophomore album "Take Me Home", aside from having six songs on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. It also helped that their 3D concert film "One Direction: This Is Us" grossed $62 million to date and is now one of the most successful concert films of all time.
To his credit, despite a string of controversies that has been attached to his name, Bieber's star power seems to be too overwhelming to be overpowered by the all the negative press and just enough to secure the 19-year-old heartthrob second place ahead of another publicity magnet, Miley Cyrus. The 20-year-old twerking star landed on the third spot of the list, riding on the success of her new hits "We Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball".
Completing the list of the year's most powerful young celebrities are singer Ariana Grande, rapper Earl Sweatshirt, country crooner Scotty McCreery, pop singers Austin Mahone and Cody Simpson, British singer Cher Lloyd, and rapper Chief Keef.
Billboard's 21 Under 21 (2013):
- One Direction
- Justin Bieber
- Miley Cyrus
- Ariana Grande
- Earl Sweatshirt
- Scotty McCreery
- Austin Mahone
- Cody Simpson
- Cher Lloyd
- Chief Keef
More One Direction News
- Justin Bieber Exposes His Upper Thighs During Outing
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M