Lifetime to End 'Army Wives' With Two-Hour Retrospective Special
"Army Wives" won't return for an eighth season. Lifetime has announced that it decided not to renew its longest running series, which has run for seven seasons since its debut on June 3, 2007. Thus, the seventh installment which wrapped up last June now becomes the last season for the show.
"There is no denying how special 'Army Wives' has been to both Lifetime and the television landscape," Rob Sharenow, Lifetime's executive vice president and general manager, says in a statement. "By taking on a very relevant and timely issue, it has brilliantly captured the challenges our military families endure and the bravery they and their loved ones display while serving our country."
He adds, "It has been an honor to be the home of 'Army Wives'. We also want to thank 'Army Wives' passionate legion of fans and everyone involved with the series: ABC Studios, Mark Gordon and Jeff Melvoin, Tanya Biank, every single cast member, as well as the crew and community of Charleston, South Carolina. Without their dedication, effort and loyalty, 'Army Wives' seven wonderful seasons would not have been possible; and for that we are very grateful."
Lifetime will give the show a proper send-off, planning a two-hour retrospective special that will feature the cast members. The special is scheduled to air early in 2014.
"Army Wives" was left by Kim Delaney in season 7, leaving Catherine Bell as the only remaining original "wive." The show brought in Brooke Shields, Ashanti and Torrey DeVitto to fill the void, but their arrival didn't help much to lure the audience, with 2.26 million viewers tuning into the season 7 premiere (down almost 1 million from season 6 premiere).
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger
- Mel Gibson Welcomes Baby No. 9 - Is It a Boy or a Girl?