Video: Carrie Underwood and Elton John Perform at 2013 Emmy Awards
Carrie Underwood made a special appearance at Emmy Awards on Sunday, September 22. She performed a tribute to The Beatles, who made their first nationwide appearance in the U.S. on TV show "The Ed Sullivan Show" fifty years ago.
Underwood, who had several times shared her excitement to be able to perform at the award-giving show, covered The Beatles' "Yesterday". Donning a blue gown, the "American Idol" winner sang the famous song with the pictures of the legendary British band being played as the background.
After her performance, the 30-year-old country star said that The Beatles' Paul McCartney had personally approved of her tribute performance. "The coolest thing about singing 'Yesterday' on the #Emmys is the sweet letter I got from @PaulMcCartney giving me his blessing to sing it!" she tweeted.
Underwood wasn't the only artist who performed a tribute at the Emmys. Sir Elton John made his first performance at the annual event. He paid homage to Liberace by playing "Home Again", a song he said reminded him of the late star.
Prior to performing the track off his upcoming 'The Diving Board" album, John was introduced by Matt Damon and Michael Douglas who co-starred in the Emmy-winning HBO Liberace film "Behind the Candelabra".
Carrie Underwood Performs "Yesterday" at Emmy Awards:
Elton John Performs "Home Again" at Emmy Awards:
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture